The Campus Activities Board has opened registration for Welcome Week’s Involvement Day (formerly known as Club Day).
Student groups can promote themselves during Involvement Day, which will be 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. September 6 on the Student Plaza. If you are interested in registering your organization, please fill out the registration form; this is different from selecting RSVP. The deadline to register is September 1.
Wednesday was busy with Welcome Week’s Heritage Day and the Transfer Fair.
Students could check out the many groups at GRCC during Welcome Week’s Club and Department Day.
Welcome Week runs Jan. 17 through 19 and includes several new events!
Here’s the schedule:
- Club and Department Day — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Raider Grille.
- Heritage Day — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Raider Grille. The Asian Student Union, Black Africana Student Union, Intervarsity, Hispanic Student Organization and International Student Organization will share learning activities and performances. Free food, games and more!
- Diversity Painting Classes — Advance signup is required for this event. Sessions run 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30-3 p.m. in the Student Center’s multipurpose room. Paint a canvas and learn about artists Romare Bearden, Diego Rivera, Stephen Mopope and Goya!
- Stand Up Comedy with Chris James — 6-7 p.m. in the ATC auditorium. James started his career in New York after he landed a modeling contract and has since performed at the New York Comedy Club and at the Comedy Store and The Laugh Factory in California. Refreshments will be provided.
- Cards Against Hypnosis with David Hall — 8-9 p.m. in the ATC auditorium. Comedy hypnotist Hall specializes in unpredictable and interactive hypnosis shows.
- Open Mic Night — 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the ATC auditorium. Want to share your skills at spoken word pieces, music, dance, karaoke or other performance? Here’s your chance! Refreshments will be provided.
- Poetry Night featuring Olivia Gatwood — 8-9 p.m. in the ATC auditorium, with a workshop following the performance. Gatwood is a writer and sex and relationships columnist based out of New York. Her work has been featured on HBO, Huffington Post, Bustle and “Versus and Flow.” This show contains mature content and language.
The Campus Activities Board is offering free diversity painting classes on Jan. 18 in the Student Center’s multipurpose room. Paint a canvas and learn about artists Romare Bearden, Diego Rivera, Stephen Mopope and Goya!
The sessions are limited to 50 students each and you’ll need to sign up in advance in the Student Life office, room 2 in the Student Center:
- Session 1 — 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Session 2 — 1:30-3 p.m.
The Campus Activities Board is wrapping up Welcome Week with a showing of “Finding Dory.”
Welcome Week wraps up Friday with Day at the Zoo and Movie Night! GRCC students get free admission to John Ball Zoo and can bring up to two guests for free.