GRCC’s observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day includes service opportunities and a GRCC Players performance.
Here’s the schedule:
- Day of Service — 8-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. Student Life and the Woodrick Center of Equity and Inclusion are organizing a trip to work at The Well House, which provides shelter for homeless youth, and the offices of the Boy Scouts of America. You’ll meet at the Student Center multipurpose room before traveling to the sites. Signups are due by midnight Jan. 12.
- “Selma” — CC Cinema will show this movie from noon to 2 p.m. in the Raider Grille. Free popcorn!
- Commemoration program featuring activist and writer Kevin Powell speaking on “The Leadership Is Us” — 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Fountain Street Church, 24 Fountain St. NE. Sponsored by GRCC, Grand Valley State University and Davenport University.
- Showing and panel discussion of “Selma” — 4:30-7 p.m. in the ATC auditorium.
- Diversity painting classes — 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or 1:30-3 p.m. in the Student Center multipurpose room. Paint a canvas and learn about artists Romare Bearden, Diego Rivera, Stephen Mopope and Goya! Advance signup is required.
Jan. 26 to 28
- GRCC Players performance of “Facing Our Truth: 10-Minute Plays on Trayvon, Race & Privilege” — 8 p.m. in the Spectrum Theater. Tickets cost $10 for the public and $3 for GRCC students; advance purchase — through the box office at (616) 234-3946 is strongly encouraged.